Prayer Time: I can do all things through Him
Estimated Time: 10 - 15 minutes
Begin in prayer. Maybe take a moments quiet pause to engage with the presence of God. If you have a candle, you may want to light it as a reminder that Jesus, the light of the world, is present.
Video: Team Hoyt
1. Did you enjoy the video? Why? Why not?
2. What were the different things that you saw happening?
3. What different emotions did you see as the video progressed?
4. What do you think it shows about the father that he was prepared to put himself through such a difficult challenge?
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.’
1. Who is speaking in this passage?
2. What happens if we remain with Jesus?
3. What happens if we are apart from Jesus?
4. What are the parallels between this passage and the video that we have just watched?
Like the boy in the video we can often find ourselves feeling weak and powerless. In Romans 7:15-20, Paul says that he finds himself doing the things he doesn’t want to do and not doing the things he knows he should do. Therefore, we desperately need God to help us make good decisions, avoid sin and to help us to do the right thing. In this passage in John, Jesus gives us a stark choice; if we remain with God we will bear much fruit, if we don’t, we can do nothing. In the video, the boy had no choice except to allow his father to do the work for him. The less we try to be strong ourselves, the more we allow God to be strong for us.
What things do you like to have control over? What weaknesses or sins do you keep going back to again and again? How can you allow God to come and take control for you?